The Nigerian Presidency claims it was "unaware" of the latest directive from the Nigeria Communications Commission (NCC) to Telcos (Telecommunication companies).
NCC had issued a directive to Telcos to increase the price of internet data offerings by as much as 300 percent.
According to top officials in the nation's seat of power, the decision was taken over the head of the President and his number two man.
On Monday, Pulse broke the news of an impending data hike across all Global System for Mobile communications (GSM) and Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) networks.
Executive Vice Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the NCC, Prof Umar Garba Danbatta said the floor price for data services will translate to 90 kobo per megabyte for big operators.
This will effectively mean ushering back the price floor that was eliminated last year.
This implies that a data plan of 1.5 gigabyte will now cost the subscriber N3,000.
1.5 gigabyte currently goes for N1,000.
The new price regime, the NCC said, will kick off on December 1, 2016.
According to the NCC, it is introducing the new price floor "in order to provide a level playing field for all operators in the industry, allowing small operators and new entrants to acquire market share and operate profitably".
The NCC added that, "small operators and new entrants are hereby exempted from the price floor for data services”.
By midweek, Nigerians were up in arms against the federal government for "inflicting more pains on the citizenry in a recession".
Pulse has been working the phones to find out if the NCC directive received President Muhammadu Buhari's blessings.
As head of the Economic management team and ICT (Information and Communications Technology) unit in the Presidency, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo should also have been in the know.