It was a tough battle this year with many senators and House of representative members loosing out massively to their embittered rivals at the February 23rd poll. At least 24 incumbent senators lost their bid to return to the Senate, Nigeria’s most prestigious exclusive club.
See The List Of Nigerian Senators Who Lost Their Re-election Bid in The 2019 Election:
- Senate President Bukola Saraki loses Kwara Central Senatorial district to Ibrahim Oloriegbe of the APC.
- Senator Nelson Effiong of the All Progressives Congress (APC), representing Akwa Ibom South senatorial district lost to Mrs Akon Eyakenyi of the PDP.
- Senator Godswill Obot Akpabio, Former Senate Minority Leader, loses Akwa Ibom North West to Dr. Chris Ekpenyong of the PDP.
- Senator Shehu Sani was one of the most active senators of the 8th National Assembly. He was the senator representing Kaduna Central. Senator Shehu Sani lost to the APC candidate Uba Sani, a former aide to governor Nasir El-Rufai. Senator Shehu Sani was a senator under the All Progressive Congress (APC) but defected to Peoples Redemption Party( PRP) after he lost in the APC primaries.
- Biodun Olujimi of the PDP lost Ekiti North to Adetunmbi Olubunmi Ayodeji of the APC.
- Duro Faseyi, the PDP senator representing Ekiti South senatorial district lost to Adedayo Clement Adeyeye of the APC.
- Binta Masi Garba, she is the only female senator from the North. She was representing Adamawa North before she lost to Ishaku Cliff of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). Binta Masi ran under the platform of the All Progressive Congress (APC)
- Senator Andy Uba was a senator of the All Progressive Congress (APC) representing Anambra South Senatorial district. Andy Uba lost to Ifeanyi Ubah of the Young Progressive Party (YPP) making him the first senator ever to be elected under YPP.
- Senator George Akume Of APC lost the seat to Orker Jev of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in the senatorial election in Benue Zone B. (North-West).
- Senator Mao Ohuabunwa: the PDP senator representing Abia-North senatorial district lost to Orji Uzor Kalu of the APC.
Others Senator Who lost their seat include:
- Rafiu Ibrahim (PDP, Kwara South)
- Nazif Gamawa (PDP, Bauchi)
- Tayo Alasoadura (APC, Ondo Central)
- Yele Omogunwa (Ondo South)
- Suleiman Hunkuyi (PDP, Kaduna North)
- Shittu Ubali (PDP, Jigawa North East)
- Mohammed Hassan (PDP, Yobe South)
- Hamman Isa Misau (PDP, Bauchi Central)
- Ahmed Ogembe (PDP, Kogi Central)
- Attai Aidoko (PDP, Kogi East)
- Barnabas Gemade (SDP, Benue North East)
- David Umaru (APC Niger East)
- Monsurat Sunmonu (ADC, Oyo Central)
- Rilwan Adesoji (ADP, Oyo South)