The Federal Road Safety Commission is the Government Agency with statutory responsibilities for road safety administration in Nigeria. Founded in 1988, the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) operates in all Nigerian states as well as the Federal Capital Territory and is the lead agency in Nigeria on road safety administration and management. The statutory functions include: Making the highways safe for motorists and other road users as well as checking roadworthiness of vehicles, recommending works and infrastructures to eliminate or minimize accidents on the highways and educating motorists and members of the public on the importance of road discipline on the highways.
Duties And Functions Of FRSC
– Making the highway safe for motorists and other road users.
– Recommending works and devices designed to eliminate or minimize accidents on the highways
– Educating motorists and members of the public on the importance of discipline on the highway.
– Preventing or minimizing accidents on the highway
– Clearing obstructions on any part of the highways
– Educating drivers, motorists and other members of the public generally on the proper use of the highways
– Designing and producing the driver’s license to be used by various categories of vehicle operators
– Determining, from time to time, the requirements to be satisfied by an applicant for a driver’s license
– Designing and producing vehicle number plates
– The standardization of highway traffic codes
– Giving prompt attention and care to victims of accidents
– Conducting researches into causes of motor accidents and methods of preventing them and putting into use the result of such researches
– Determining and enforcing speed limits for all categories of roads and vehicles and controlling the use of speed limiting devices
– Cooperating with bodies or agencies or groups in road safety activities or in the prevention of accidents on the highways
– Making regulations in pursuance of any of the functions assigned to the Corps by or under this Act.
– Regulating the use of sirens, flashers and beacon lights on vehicles other than ambulances and vehicles belonging to the Armed Forces, Nigeria Police, Fire Service, and other Para-military agencies
– Providing roadside and mobile clinics for the treatment of accident victims free of charge
– Regulating the use of mobile phones by motorists
– Regulating the use of seat belts and other safety devices
– Regulating the use of motorcycles on the highway
– Maintaining the validity period for drivers’ licenses which shall be three years subject to renewal at the expiration of the validity period
In exercise of the functions, members of the Commission (FRSC) shall have the power to arrest and prosecute persons reasonably suspected of having committed any traffic offense.