The Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) is a Lagos State-owned agency under the ministry of transport. The agency was established in the year 2000 to transform the state transport system to ensure free flow of traffic in the state and also reduce road accidents. People usually pronounce “LASTMA” as “LASMA” instead of Last-ma.
Many a time Nigerian road users fall victim of extortion of the law enforcement. Imagine a LASTMA official checking your car documents, this is not just absurd but a slap on his employers. LASTMA officials are not meant to check neither are they to ask for car particulars. Ignorance is not an excuse in the court of law so its expedient one knows the duties of each law enforcement and try to decipher their modus operandi and what their line of duties.
Responsibilities and Duties / Functions of Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA)
– Control, Management and Regulation of traffic-related matters within Lagos Metropolis
– Public Education and Enlightenment of drivers and motorists on the proper use of the highways
– Traffic Safety and Accident Management
– Conduct research on drivers’ behaviors and traffic safety
– Install and maintain traffic control devices on the highways
– Relate with other traffic management agencies
– To develop a Culture of Regulation, control, and management of traffic operations statewide;
– To ensure hitch-free traffic flow on Lagos road;
– To develop the most efficient and effective means of bringing about safety improvement
– Co-operate with bodies agencies or groups engaged in road safety activities or in the prevention of accidents on the highways;
– Determine works and devices designed to improve traffic flow and advise the appropriate road works offices on the locations where such works and devices are required;
– Identify, develop, promote and maintain new or alternative methods of traffic management and road safety