The National Examinations Council (NECO) is an examination body in Nigeria that conducts the Senior Secondary Certificate Examination and the General Certificate in Education in June/July and December/January respectively. It was founded April 1999 by Abdulsalami Abubakar, a retired Nigerian Army General who was Military Head of State from 9 June 1998 until 29 May 1999, after succeeding Sani Abacha upon Abacha’s death.
Functions of NECO: These are the detailed function of NECO
Section 7 of NECO’s enabling Act provides that NECO shall be responsible for;
1. Revising and considering, annually, in the public interest the examinations to be held for admission into Federal Government Colleges and other allied institutions;
2. Collecting and disseminating information on all matters relating to admission into Federal Government Colleges and other allied institutions;
3. The general control and conduct of the National Common Entrance Examinations for admission into Federal Government Colleges and other allied institutions;
4. Developing and administering selection examinations into the Suleja Academy in accordance with such guidelines as may be approved, from time to time, by the Minister;
5. Developing administering and conducting aptitude tests for all candidates into Federal Government Colleges and other allied institutions;
6. Monitoring, collecting and keeping records of continuous assessment in all Federal Government Colleges and other allied institutions and in the Suleja Academy toward the award of the Junior and Senior School Certificates;
7. The general control of the conduct of the Junior Secondary School certificate Examinations in all Federal Government Colleges, and other allied institutions and in the Suleja Academy;
8. The general control of the conduct of the internal and external Senior Secondary School Certificate Examinations in Nigeria without prejudice to the existing powers and functions of the West African Examinations Council;
9. Conducting a Standard National Assessment of Educational Performance at junior and senior Secondary School levels;
10. Conducting researches leading to national improvement of testing and examination procedures at Junior and Senior Secondary School levels;
11. Preparing and submitting to the Minister the annual report on standards of examinations and such other related matters as the Minister may, from time to time, require; and
12. Carrying out such other activities as are expedient for the discharge of all or any of the functions conferred on the Council under or to this Act.