For the Collation and Declaration of chairmanship Election Result:
- The Presiding Officers send results of poll to the RA Collation Officer;
- The RA Collation Officer collates results from polling units, declares the result for Councillorship and returns the winner. The Chairmanship result is sent to the Local Government Area (LGA) Collation Officer;
- The LGA Collation Officer collates the results from the various wards in the LGA, declares and returns the winner as Chairman-elect for the Local Government;
A candidate for a contested election to the office of Chairman of an Area Council shall be declared winner if he has:
- A majority of the votes cast at the election; and
- Not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election in each of at least two-thirds of all the Wards in the Area Council.
Where two or more candidates score an equal number of votes being the highest in an election, the Returning Officer shall not return any of the candidates and a fresh election shall be held for the candidates on a date to be appointed by the Commission (Section 69 of Electoral Act 2010 as amended).